Thursday, June 09, 2005

Quote from The Man Who was Thursday

I couldn't help myself. Here is a quote from The Man Who was Thursday:

"It does seem to have a moral under all its gaiety," assented Syme; "but may I ask you two questions? You need not fear to give me information, because, as you remember, you very wisely extorted from me a promise not to tell the police, a promise I shall certainly keep. So it is in mere curiosity that I make my queries. First of all, what is it really all about? What is it you object to? You want to abolish Government?

"To abolish God!" said Gregory, opening the eyes of a fanatic. "We do not only want to upset a few despotism and police regulations; that sort of anarchism does exist, but it is a mere branch of the Nonconformists. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinction of vice and virtue, honour and treachery, upon which mere rebels base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the French Revolution talked of the Rights of Man! We hate Rights and we hate Wrongs. We have abolished Right and Wrong."

"And Right and Left," said Syme with a simple eagerness. "I hope you will abolish them too. They are much more troublesome to me."

{R}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google